NEWS & VIEWS OF PHILLIPS SINCE 1976
Tuesday September 19th 2017

Keep citizen journalism alive!

Donatebutton_narrow

Archives

Peace House Community Moved to New Peace House

“Peace House, 28 Years”, an in-depth article by Catherine Marner on the occasion of the Peace House 28th Anniversary will be featured in October issue of The Alley Newspaper.

“Peace House, 28 Years”, an in-depth article by Catherine Marner on the occasion of the Peace House 28th Anniversary will be featured in October issue of The Alley Newspaper.

By Joanne Kosciolek, Aeon Vice President, Fund Development & Communications

Peace House stood at 510 Franklin Avenue since 1985 when Sister Rose Tillemans opened the door. Peace House Community begins another chapter at its new location at 1816 Portland Avenue South because the original building was torn down on August 20th so the fourth of Hope Community’s buildings at Franklin and Portland Avenues can be built. This fourth building is the final phase of “South Quarter” at each corner of Franklin and Portland Avenues — 90 new, mixed-income apartment homes.

The new Peace house is one and a half blocks from its original home featuring a large gathering space with vaulted ceiling, a new kitchen and equipment, central air conditioning, handicapped accessibility, an abundance of natural light, and a beautifully landscaped yard. A number of tiles from the mosaic on the original building were taken and will be installed within the pediment above the front entrance.

The Franklin and Portland four corners building development is a partnership with Aeon and Hope Community. The sustainable, quality apartment homes are life-cycle apartment options for residents at a range of income levels. The development will also include 12 designated apartments for long-term homeless individuals and families.

Share this with your friends:
  • email
  • Print
  • PDF
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Tumblr
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Google Bookmarks

Leave a Reply